BDF X QTRMSTRS: Birmingham Made
A showcase of locally produced work from ceramics, leather goods, jewellery, furniture and homewares to celebrate the skills and talent of Birmingham artisans, designer makers and small manufacturers.
Practice what you preach, support independents, buy local and commission bespoke goods designed just for you, the way you like them.
Quartermasters are a maker collective curating artisan and designer maker workshops and events in the Jewellery Quarter.
Together we are hosting ‘Birmingham Made’ a showcase of locally produced work from ceramics, leather goods, jewellery, furniture and homewares to celebrate the skills and talent of Birmingham artisans, designer makers and small manufacturers. Alongside a series of talks, demos and family workshop activity. For more details on exhibitors and talk timings visit http://qtrmstrs.com/BDF.
- Tina Francis – Heritage Tapestry Maker with a contemporary twist
- B18 Leather – Handcrafted leather goods with an artistic edge
- Frilly Industries – Mixed media illustrative laser cut jewellery
- Andrew J Mason – Original typographic sign writing
- Holodeck – Riso and marbled hand printed goods
- Wendy Tournay – white, functional ceramic forms
- The Emma Press – Independent Poetry Press
- The Dual Works – homeware design studio, and workshops
- Zolia Jewellery – sculptural fine jewellery
- Birmingham Balti Bowl – the original pressed steel balti curry bowls made in the JQ
- Sparrow + Wolf – home furnishing and stationery studio
- Karlus G Tailor – bespoke tailoring
- Joe Pascoe – Potter of minimal thrown wheel stoneware
- PaperAmy – paper artist and illustrator presenting bold, contemporary paper sculptures
WORKSHOP / DEMO / TALK:
Thursday 7th June
2:30pm-3:00pm Andrew J Mason – Signwriting and gilding demo – FREE
4:30pm – 5pm Tina Francis – Stitch before Supper: learn 3 canvas work stitched in half an hour – FREE
Friday 8th June
11:30-12pm Illustrated history of Birmingham’s Balti Bowl – Andy Munro – FREE. For the first time for over 20 years, Birmingham’s iconic Balti bowls are now being made once again in the city where the Balti phenomenon first started. The Birmingham Balti Bowl Company commissioned these bowls, uniquely engraved, from long established manufacturer AE Harris based in the heart of Birmingham’s Historic Jewellery Quarter
2:30-3pm B18 leather Leather Keyring workshop – £5 per keyring – just drop in. In need of a new leather keyring or just fancy having a go at making one? Then why not drop in to the ‘Birmingham Made’ pop up to make one. You can even personalise it if you like.
Saturday 9th June
12:30 -1pm The Emma Press: Write a Dinosaur Poem for ages 6+ big kids and small kids welcome – FREE
2:30-3 Birmingham Originals Etsy Team: Selling on Etsy – FREE
Throughout the day, Joe Pascoe, A Birmingham-based potter who works out of his home studio and Sundragon Community Pottery, will be running pottery throwing demos in the courtyard.
Sunday 10th June
Scrap Product Workshop – mini designers in making and big designers too – FREE all ages workshop
Join the Quartermasters Collective to make a product for the future reusing industrial scrap waste from the Birmingham Scrapstore. From packaging plastics, old books, felt offcuts, denim samples, foam and wood; the scrap store saves clean waste that would otherwise go to landfill for use by artists, educators and makers for products and play. This free all ages workshop just requires you to bring your limitless imaginations and problem solving skills as you combine different materials to make a new piece of design.